Schitt's Creek is the beacon of hope we need in this world, and I will die on that hill. If you haven't watched it yet, do yourself a favor and move it to the top of your binge list!
When Kindred Stamps released their stamp set "Motel Family", I snatched it up as fast as I could. I have a stamp hoarding problem, however, and just this weekend got around to making a project with it.
Oh, was it worth the wait! The set offers several characters, and sentiments that would work for any occasion. I decided to make easel cards using the House Builder Dies from Honeybee Studios and featuring the show's main characters.
This was an ambitious project, but I think the details make it extra special and are worth taking some time.
I started by cutting all of the elements from the House Builder Dies. To add realistic interest, I used my score board and scored the roof section every 1/2". For the motel base, I scored every 1/4", but I only carried the design through the top half. For the bottom of the base, I used Lawn Fawn Jellyfish ink to stamp a brick pattern with Papertrey Ink's Rustic Brick Background.
Next, I used LF Sugar Cookie ink to add color to the pieces, using a heavier hand around the edges to give more definition and a slightly dirty look.
Using a combination of alcohol markers and distress inks, I added color to all of the small elements of the house.
Window glass : BG70
Window panes and door: NO
Planter: Walnut Stain distress oxide, Lucky Clover distress oxide, Pine Needles distress ink, R29, Y06, Y08
Door knob: C10
To finish off the motel, I used LF Oliver's Stitched ABCs to cut the letters for the marquis out of chili pepper cardstock.
Moving on to the character elements, I stamped the images on Bristol paper with a Copic friendly ink. I used different variations in my favorite gray families for their clothing, and used the same skin tone combos for the mother/son, and father/daughter.
To assemble the card, I inked up the front of an A2 card base using Peeled Paint and Tumbled Glass distress oxides. Flipping to the inside panel, I scored the card front at 2 1/8" and folded it.
I cut a panel to 3 1/4" x 5 1/2", and used Peeled Paint and Gathered Twigs distress oxides to mimic the front lawn. I also sprayed some water on the panel and blotted it with a paper towel to add texture. Once dry, I stamped a sentiment from the Motel Family set and added the sidewalk/pavers. (The sidewalk pieces were actually the inside panes of the window die. I used Hickory Smoke distress oxide to give them some color.)
I added strong adhesive to the bottom half of the motel only, and attached it to the card front, making sure that it was attached only under my score line. I adhered the lawn panel to the inside of the card, flush with the bottom edge. Lastly, I attached my stamped images using a liquid glue to make sure I had some wiggle room to get them in the perfect position.
And that's it! The card will lie flat for mailing, but opens up into a dynamic full scene. For a cohesive look, I stamped a sentiment on the coordinating envelope, and my cards are ready to go! One is a "just because" card for a friend who is working too hard, and the other is for a friend and her fiancee who just bought a house. This set is super versatile!
Tricks and Takeaways:
After you fussy cut images, use a black marker to go around the outside edges. This will leave your images with a finished look.
If you have tiny, or pre-cut, images you want to color, try using purple tape! Lay a piece of low tack tape down sticky side up, and stick your images to it. They won't move around on you, and you won't ink up your fingers!